Monday 4 January 2016

Vintage Blood - exclusive interview with Writer and Director Abigail Blackmore

Tremayne Miller
LifestyleMK's Film Critic, Tremayne Miller, has been talking to Tri-Force Short Film Festival winner Abigail Blackmore about her film "Vintage Blood".

Vintage Blood is a 14 minute black-comedy short starring Indira Varma, Sophie Thompson, and Michael Rosen.  It tells the tale of  the owner of a vintage shop who finds a ouija board.   Vintage Blood won the "Audience Choice" award at the festival.



TM: For those who have yet to see prize-winning Short, Vintage Blood, how would you pitch it to them? 

AB: It’s a story within a story about the owner of a quirky vintage shop who discovers her fiancĂ©’s life is in danger when she comes into possession of a cursed Ouija board.

TM: What aspects of it do you think lead to it being awarded the People’s Choice Award at this year’s Triforce Short Film Festival?

AB: Ha! Well, I can only guess it’s because it’s quite funny and a bit scary and it has a pretty strong story with a solid ending. I’m honestly delighted that people like it. 

TM: In Vintage Blood you wear two caps, that of Actress and Director.  How was that, and given the choice again, would you choose not to act in it?

AB: If you asked me that during the shoot I would say I wouldn’t do it again, but being in it actually makes it a lot easier for me to meet people who’ve seen the film. There’s that instant recognition which cuts through all the “were you involved in one of the films?” conversations. It wasn’t easy though. Most of my stuff was shot on the first day and it was freezing cold, so it was a relief to get into a coat and scarf for the rest of the shoot. Actors are always uncomfortable, whether it’s too hot or too cold. It’s not easy! I prefer directing but I’m glad I was in it and probably would give myself another small role sometime, like a zombie or something. Acting is still a lot of fun.

TM: Where did the idea for the story come from, and was it a sole effort or did it form part of a collaboration process?

AB: Well, Ruth, who plays the rude friend who’s visiting my character, is actually one of the owners of the shop we used. She runs it with Megan, who played the customer who is interested in buying the fan. We were originally planning on making a YouTube sitcom in the shop so I already had the idea about someone planting a cursed ouija board in there, then when producer Ed Barratt and I decided to make a short film I thought that would be a fun idea to use. 


TM: Was Vintage Blood your first behind-the-camera experience?  If not, could you elaborate a little on the previous projects you have been involved in.

AB: I’ve made a lot of things that I put straight onto YouTube. Small series and one-offs, all comedy. I quite like shoving a camera in someone’s hand and getting them to film me asking people dumb questions. There’s a lot of that in my YouTube mini-series “She’s Behind You, parts 1&2” where I stalk the author Sarah Pinborough at various horror and fantasy conventions. She gave me permission to stalk her but she was the only one who knew. I nearly got thrown out of the World Horror Convention for it.


I’ve written things that other people have directed and I’ve developed TV ideas for a few production companies but Vintage Blood is the first thing I’ve directed that had a proper crew and release forms and taxis and lunch. 

TM: Where did you take your inspiration from for this particular screen play; and in general filmmaking terms?

AB: This idea was inspired by the location, the vintage clothes and homeware shop Cha Cha Cha in North London. It’s like stepping back in time, surrounded by items owned by a lot of now-dead people. I feel very much at home there. It’s like a cool version of your nan’s house. It’s so packed with colour and texture. I always joked that there could be someone hiding in the corner and you’d never know. Fortunately Ruth and Megan were game enough to let me do it despite being unsure about the ouija board. 

I used to watch Tales of the Unexpected as a kid and I think that’s a big inspiration for this film. Stephen King is another. I was brought up on horror and it’s still my favourite genre by miles. It’s the most inclusive of all the genres (along with comedy). You can combine it with sci-fi, drama, romance, thriller, westerns, war, comedy, tragedy, history... It’s an equal-opportunities genre.

TM: Are there other genres besides Horror-Comedy you would like to explore?

AB: I’d love to do a sci-fi or a thriller. I have a few scripts I’d like to make that are mostly drama-comedies. I’m very interested in people and how they react to others. The only genre I have no interest in tackling is action. It bores the pants off me. 

TM: What does 2016 hold for you?

AB: All being well, I’ll be directing my first feature in the Spring. The script is ready and we have a couple of amazing actors attached. It’s another horror-comedy, but I don’t think I can say much more at the mo. Watch this space!

Your next chance to see "Vintage Blood" is Thursday 14th January, 2016 at the Hackney Picturehouse.  Tickets available HERE

LifestyleMK is back for a new season on SATURDAY 9th JANUARY 2016 12 - 2pm!!

@draudreyt
@gili80
@davejsanderson
#lifestylemk
or join the LifestyleMK facebook group HERE

Past shows can be heard and downloaded on SPREAKER


Tremayne writes for The British Theatre Network, and HeyUGuys.
Find out more about Tremayne HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment